There are two fun baking events to choose from this week, and of course you are more than welcome to do both!
1. Bookish Bakes, Tuesday December 2nd at Summerland Library 6-8pm. This doesn’t mean that you have to bake a cake in the shape of a book, although you can if you want. Whether it’s a pie inspired by a novel or crackers inspired by a poem you loved as a child, it’s entirely up to you. Along with your bake, bring along the book or poem (or essay or diary entry…) to share your baking story. The library has created a beautiful display of books for food lovers, and we’ll be sharing our baking and bookish stories over cups of tea.
So far I have heard that we have some Pork and Bean Bread coming (Hooray, Jean!), and I have claimed Queen of Hearts Jam Tarts from Alice in Wonderland. Still looking for inspiration? Here are some helpful links on baking in literature:
2. The 2nd Annual Great Summerland Cookie Swap, December 6 10am-noon, organized by the lovely Chantelle and hosted by Lisa L. Lessen your holiday baking load: Bake 6 dozen of one kind of cookie and bring it along to swap with fellow bakers. Of course, we eat some while we’re there. And we drink tea and have a laugh. Bring bags or containers for your cookie swap haul.
So far on the swap list:
- Chocolate peppermint cookies
- Peanut butter cups
- Turtle pretzels/Graham almond cracker drizzled with a sugar butter
- Butter tarts
- Gingerbread kiss cookies
- Poudre Douce Butter cookies
If you’re attending this one, email Chantelle with your chosen cookie and she will send you directions to Lisa’s.
Other events to look forward to:
- Movie Night at the Summerland Waterfront Resort in January (Date tba)
- Cafe Noir at the Summerland Art Gallery, February 21st