Bakers! The countdown is on. The time we have all be waiting for is nearly upon us. This weekend, for one weekend only… the chance to stand atop the mountain of baking glory at THE 105TH SUMMERLAND FALL FAIR.
I have two pages of scrawled notes containing my mother’s recipe for German plum cake. I’ve never made it before and despite the fact that the base contains yeast and requires two hours of rising followed by not too much overworking (usually an instruction that I misread before pummeling it to death), I’m quietly confident that the Family Favourite Cake judges will feast fondly on it.
Here is what you need to know about entering your bake in this year’s Fall Fair!
- Step 1: Choose your bake. If you haven’t decided what to make, head to page 20 of the Fall Fair guide and choose from one of the baking categories.
- Step 2: Entry times. The exhibit entry hours for baking are: Thursday, September 11 from 5:30pm to 8pm and Friday, September 12 from 8am-9am.
- Step 3: Entry cards. You can buy your entry card (remember your $.50 per entry!) when you bring in your bake during the above times.
Note: All plastic bags that are used for entries must be new!
If you’ve entered in the Fall Fair before and have any tips for our new bakers, please comment below or share your ideas on our Facebook Page.
I’ll be heading to the fair on Saturday morning look for familiar names and photograph the blue ribbon bakes. Because that’s how I roll.
A couple of other notes:
- We enjoyed an amazing time at Grape Escape Guest House in July, and several bakers expressed interest in heading out again and have a go at picking grapes. Well, the time is now! Contact Gerri and George at (250) 404-4281 to get your hands on some grapes.
- There will be a meetup in October. I don’t know where, however there have been several requests for a cheesecake themed meetup, so wherever it is, there will be plenty of cheesecake. I will follow up in early October.
Happy baking, everyone!